The workshop is organized and supported by the CUREX H2020 project.
On October 14th, 2019, CUREX successfully organized its first International Workshop on Security and Privacy in Healthcare (SPH), in Thessaloniki, Greece. The SPH workshop was held in conjunction with the 18th Web Intelligence conference (WI’19).
The workshop featured two very interesting keynote speeches on e-health related aspects. Prof. Vagelis Papakonstantinou from the Vrije Universiteit Brussel (Belgium), who also participates in the fellow H2020 project SPHINX, presented the special meaning that healthcare carries in legal, ethical and security context. The second keynote was given by Prof. Panagiotis Bamidis from the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (Greece), President of the Greek Biomedical Technology Society and member of the Medical Physics Laboratory, who discussed the benefits and implications of collecting everyday data through ubiquitous, long-term recordings to support vulnerable populations.
Additionally, four scientific papers were presented by their respective authors who traveled to Thessaloniki. Namely, Prof. Christos Xenakis from University of Piraeus (Greece) presented the security solutions that are offered by CUREX and are tailored for healthcare environments. Prof. Suzanna Schmeelk from St. John’s University (USA) presented her research on identity theft through the lens of medical record data breaches, under the HIPAA/HITECH regulations enforced in the United States. Michail Bampatsikos from Demokritos research institute (Greece), proposed the BARRET architecture to protect healthcare IoT devices against computational denial of service attacks. Finally, Yasuyuki Tanaka from NTT Communications Corporation (Japan) demonstrated a method of efficiently collecting malicious candidate URLs to generate highly accurate blacklists, which can be adapted for the health sector.
Fruitful discussions took place after the workshop, where representatives of other EU H2020 projects showed great interest in future collaborations with CUREX.
The presentation slides can be found by clicking on the respective links below.
Opening: Prof. Christos Xenakis, University of Piraeus
Keynote I: Prof. Vagelis Papakonstantinou, Vrije Universiteit Brussel
CUREX: seCUre and pRivate hEalth data eXchange
Keynote II: Prof. Panagiotis Bamidis, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki
BARRETT: BlockchAin Regulated REmote aTTestation
SEEDSMINER: Accurate URL Blacklist-Generation Based on Efficient OSINT Seed Collection
You can download the SPH Workshop Program here.
Please, check the full conference schedule here: http://webintelligence2019.com/conference-program/
Call for Papers
With the rise of new types of cyber-crimes and digital healthcare infrastructures and platforms being universally recognised as Critical Information Infrastructure, healthcare organisations have begun to realise the necessity to prepare against these challenges. This calls for the effective preparation of organisations in an ever-evolving cyber-attack landscape. In this workshop, we invite high-quality submissions in the areas of security and privacy in the healthcare sector and other related topics. Submitted papers should highlight methods and approaches that can be used to analyse the security risks and requirements, highlight the security threats in the area of Healthcare and to provide novel methods and approaches to assure security, safeguard patient privacy and increase patient trust in the currently vulnerable critical healthcare information infrastructures.
Topics of interest include but are not limited to the following areas:
- Security and Privacy Policies
- Privacy Preserving and Protection
- Trust and Privacy in Healthcare
- GDPR of Medical Data
- Secure Electronic Health Records
- Secure Exchange of Medical Data
- Privacy Risk Assessment
- Threat Intelligence
- Vulnerabilities and Cybersecurity Attacks to Healthcare Organisations
- Applications of Blockhain in Healthcare
All submitted papers will be peer-reviewed. The manuscripts must be prepared in English, following the standard ACM Conference Proceedings format with a maximum length of eight (8) printed pages, including figures. Submissions are to be made to the submission web site.
The workshop deadlines:
- Workshop Paper Submission: July 19th, 2019
- Reviews Submission: August 10th, 2019
- Notification of Acceptance/Rejection: August 15th, 2019
- Final, Camera Ready Papers, due: August 25th, 2019
Organizing Committee (OC):
- Prof. Christos Xenakis – University of Piraeus, Greece
- Dr. Emmanouil Panaousis – University of Greenwich, UK
- Ms. Eleni Trouva – Intrasoft International, Greece
Technical Program Committee (TPC):
- Marios Logothetis - Intrasoft International, Greece
- Anastasios Zafeiropoulos - Ubitech, Greece
- Nikolaos Pitropakis - Edinburgh Napier University, Scotland
- Ernestina Menasalvas - Universita Politecnica de Madrid, Spain
- Christos Laoudias - KIOS, Cyprus
- Angeliki Panou - University of Piraeus, Greece
- Panagiotis Gouvas - Ubitech, Greece
- Gustavo Gonzalez-Granadillo - ATOS, Spain
- Christoforos Ntantogian - University of Piraeus, Greece
- Sofia Tsekeridou - Intrasoft International, Greece
- Emmanouil Kafetzakis - 8Bells, Cyprus
- Alejandro Rodríguez González - Universita Politecnica de Madrid, Spain
- Eleni Veroni - University of Piraeus, Greece